Zorb is the next adventure activity from New Zealand the nation that developed bungee jumping and a host of ever-more-outrageous thrill pursuits. If you're looking for adrenaline-pumping action, Rotorua is the place to be. Join Extreme Sports Café in this awesome natural setting and experience the thrills and adventure you’ll get from a Zorb globe ride. Extreme Sports Café have teamed up with the inventors of the original, and only official, ZORB globe just north of Rotorua in New Zealand. Here they offer all types of Zorb globe riding experiences. Zorb globe riding is the sport of rolling down a hill inside a giant inflatable ball and where New Zealand, once again leads the world in the most fun, stupid things to do while you're on holiday.
Extreme Sports Cafe's partner ZORB centre own the trademark for the word "ZORB" in many countries and manufacture their ZORB globes in New Zealand at the company-owned factory. The ZORB globes are constantly being modified and updated to ensure they are top quality and the best in the market. You can be sure that when visiting an official ZORB site and riding in their ZORB globes that it will be safe, fun, and an experience you just can't wait to tell everyone about.
Rotorua is located at the heart of the North Island of New Zealand, in the aptly named 'Bay of Plenty' region. The Rotorua District enjoys a temperate climate. It has a relatively high altitude (290m/950ft) resulting in daily maximum temperatures of 20-27 C (68-78F) in the summer months and around 10-12 C (50-55 F) during winter.
The warmest months are January, February and March, with July and August being the lower temperature months. Because rainfall is spread fairly evenly throughout the year, Rotorua is enjoyable all year round and does not experience a 'wet season' like other countries.
ZORB Globe Riding Experiences in New Zealand from Extreme Sports Cafe
Below you will find a description of the various rides we have on offer at ZORB Rotorua. There are some key facts you should know about each ride and some important ride restrictions too.
The ZYDRO ride is our wildest ride. We throw you, up to two friends*, and water (make a note – warm water in winter, and cold in summer. Yes, we do look after you!) inside the ZORB globe and send you on your way down the hill. Free inside the ZORB globe, you - the ZORBONAUT – are free to slip, slide, and spin inside the globe for an action packed, wet ride down the hill.
- “It's a wash for the unclean, a bonding experience for friends, a massage for the aching, and a cure for the hungover. It will leave you refreshed, exhilarated and ready for your next ZORB experience (or the crowd watching you scream and laugh your way down the hill)”
- Described by some as a cross between a water slide and a roller coaster, the ZYDRO ride is like nothing you experienced before.
We offer two track options with the ZYDRO – the Zig-Zag or the straight.
- The Straight ZYDRO is the ZYDRO ride down our straight track. In this variation you can take up to two friends* on your wild ride down the hill. A true bonding experience, the Straight ZYDRO is a great introduction to ZORB globe riding and will leave you craving more!
- If you want to step it up a notch, the Zig-Zag ZYDRO is for you. All alone inside the globe, your journey takes you down a track with twists, turns, Zigs and Zags that will have you sliding backwards, sideways, upside-down and inside-out. With a blurred view of the picturesque surroundings darting back and forth, this ride is definitely for those seeking a little more excitement in their life. Go on, we dare you.
ZYDRO Ride Key Facts:
- You get wet.
- You have different track options.
- Up to three people can ride in a single globe.
- We recommend purchasing Zed-pack ride clothing or bringing swim wear or a change of clothes and a towel.
- Extreme ride.
ZYDRO Ride Variations:
- Single person ZYDRO; straight track.
- Two person ZYDRO; straight track.
- Three person ZYDRO; straight track.
- Single person ZYDRO; Zig-Zag track.
ZYDRO Ride restrictions:
- Single Person - max. weight: 130 kgs.
- Up to two people - max. weight: 200 kgs. (combined)
- Minimum height: N/A.
- Minimum age: 6 years.
Known as our 'astronaut-in-training' ride, the ZORBIT ride is a head over heels adrenaline rush that will have you coming back for more. Strapped into the ZORB® globe in a specially designed safety harness, you are sent on your trip down the hill rolling head over heels, heels over head as the ground and sky go whizzing past in a beautiful mosaic of blue... green ... blue ... green ... blu ... gree ... blu ... gre...bl...gr...b...g...bgbgbg...while your body is subjected to the soft and relaxing feeling of weightlessness and g-force.
- The ZORBIT ride is only available for one person at a time, and only down our straight tracks.
- Slightly more strenuous on the body, the ZORBIT ride is the ride for those wanting to stay dry and get their adrenaline fix. It will have you wanting more. And more. And more. And more.
ZORBIT Ride Key Facts:
- You stay dry.
- You're strapped into a specially designed safety harness within the ZORB globe.
- You ride alone.
- You have one track option.
- You can wear what you want.
ZORBIT Ride Variations:
- Single person; straight track.
ZORBIT Ride Restrictions:
- Single person - max. weight: 100 kgs.
- Up to three people - max. weight: N/A.
- Minimum height: 1.6m.
- Minimum age: 10 years.
Below you will find the ZORB Rotorua price board. This is exactly the same as the one you will find on-site and outlines the different ride variations and the respective prices.
- The "Groups" correspond to the number of people in your group wanting to ride. We've been so nice that we have given you all a discount depending on the number of people you bring with you! As you can see, the more people, the bigger the discount!
- Each price outlined on the price board (no matter the group) is the price for one ride down the hill, per person. The exception to this is the ZORB-tri-riffic which is a three-ride package for one person. For ride information see above.
Q: I went ZORB globe riding and thought it was the best thing ever. I want to be able to do this all the time – can I buy a ZORB globe for personal or commercial use?
A: Unfortunately we don't sell our ZORB® globes. We have over 14years experience and have tried and tested most things about our ZORB globes. We know the in's & out's and all the safety aspects involved in globe riding. We want to ensure globe riding is a safe sport for you, so we don't sell our ZORB globes.
There are some poor copy products on the market that call themselves “Zorbs”, “Zorb balls” or “Zorbing balls”. These are not official ZORB globes – they're fakes. They say imitation is the finest form of flattery...but we reckon it has to be done well, and these copy products aren't!!!
Q: I had a pretty big night last night and need a hangover-over...got anything you can recommend?
A: Try our ZYDRO Ride with cold water...you'll be back on your feet in no time!
Q: I can't choose just one ride to do, I want to do more! I saw something called a ZORB-tri-riffic, what is that?
A: The ZORB-tri-riffic is a “Buy two rides, get one ride free” package. You can select any three rides (or three of the same) and get them all for the price of two. What more could you ask for?
The rides can NOT be split between multiple persons. This entitles one person to experience three rides of their choosing.
Q: I've heard ZORB globe riding is an experience you just can't miss, but how long is the ride?
A: The length of the ride is totally site dependent, although our shortest ride is approximately 40seconds in length – but it will be one of the best 40seconds of your life. You will be released from the ZORB with sore sides from laughing so much and the unstoppable urge to ride again. Go on, we dare you.
Q: It's raining, everything else is closed, and I have been craving my ZORB experience for so long – are you guys open?
A: Absolutely! We operate in all weather and ZORB is a great way to spend a rainy day! We'll still have the music pumping and the staff will be there to keep you entertained. Plus, just ask us for warm water on your ZYDRO ride and you'll be nice and warm on your ZORB experience you'll want to go again.
Q: I've heard you can get pretty wet in the ZYDRO ride, what do I need to wear?
A: You're right – it can get pretty wet in there! Luckily you can purchase either a Zed or Zechron pack to ride in (ZORB towel, ZORB t-shirt, and ZORB shorts, all in an easy to carry bag). That way you have nice dry clothes to get into afterwards. If you're on a tight budget, you can simply bring along some swim wear and a towel and use that to ride.
ZORB Globe Riding - Things we don't do
As you will be aware by now, safety is our top priority and ensuring our ZORBONAUTS have the best possible safe, yet incredibly fun, and truly memorable experience, is our goal. Throughout our 14years of experience and countless hours testing, we have identified the ideal way to travel down our dedicated ZORB sites and you won't find anything better.
With this as the case, there are a number of things we don't do and recommend you don't try either!
- Double-harness globe riding. (two harnesses in one globe – very dangerous)
- Going over waterfalls in a globe.
- Rolling down a hill with tree in close proximity.
- Dropping off buildings, walls, or from an aeroplane.
- Using nets or walls to stop the globes at the end of the run/track.
- Placing solid objects in the path of the globe.
- Using ropes, hay bales, and posts as barriers.
- Tow behind a boat or jetski.
- Operate without specially designed courses.
ZORB Globe Riding Rotorua - Getting There:
Q: I'm travelling on a fairly tight budget and don't have any transport out to ZORB Rotorua – is there anyway I can get there without walking?
A: There sure is! There is a “City Ride” bus that leaves central Rotorua every 15minutes. It's a bargain at only NZ$2.20 each way and will drop you right outside our door! You need to take Route 1: Ngongotaha to get here!
Getting to Rotorua is easy either by plane, train or road.
- Four state highways (5, 30, 33, and 38) converge on the City.
- Located just 230 kilometres (145 miles) south of Auckland, Rotorua is a short 45-minute flight, or a pleasant three-hour drive down the Thermal Explorer Highway.
- The cities of Auckland, Hamilton, and Rotorua are linked by rail.
- Rotorua Airport is served by New Zealand's key domestic airlines. Direct one-hour flights can link you from Christchurch International Airport, and there are connecting flights from other domestic airports around New Zealand.
Zorb globe riding is not the only adventure activity from New Zealand, things such as bungy jumping, jet boating, fly by wire and a number of other weird things you would never do at home are all made in New Zealand.
- Zorbs have been invented, tested, developed, designed and constructed and then tested again all in New Zealand. Their head office is based in Auckland New Zealand and the worlds first Zorb site is in Rotorua New Zealand.
- Zorbs are about as New Zealand as you can get, well apart from Pavlova their national dessert that they are still fighting for ownership of from the Australians. They have the Kiwi Bird, Kiwii fruit, Kiwi bloke and a lot of beautiful untouched scenery.
ZORB globe riding...your latest abdominal workout; the new skip in your step; the latest thump thump in your chest; your new crush; the only experience on your bucket list; the dream of dreams...the reality. The ride of your life.
ZORB Globe Riding Experiences in New Zealand from Extreme Sports Cafe