Come experience the ultimate new craze in eco friendly adventure. SUP (stand up paddle) is the fastest growing water-sport in the world. Get involved and find out why! Extreme Sports Café is now pleased to offer SUP (Stand Up Paddle Boarding) adventures trips on the beautiful Island of Phuket. Phuket is Thailand’s largest tropical island and Asia’s most popular beach destination. The island of Phuket provides an unbeatable combination of perfect silky soft beaches, superb hospitality and spectacular scenery bathed in stunning tropical sunsets and warm blue seas. Stand up Paddle boarding (SUP’s), surfing with a board and a paddle has taken the surfing world by storm. Paddle Surfing adds a whole new dimension to riding waves or just exploring the coast.
Established in 1985 Extreme Sports Café long standing partner Phuket Wind surfing School, located on the Southern part of Phuket island, can now offer Stand Up Paddle Boarding adventure trips. Our partner Phuket Wind surfing School’s top priorities are to customer satisfaction, team spirit, professionalism and fun. You will get the chance to practice or learn Wind surfing in the company of fellow enthusiasts and professionals with expert knowledge of the area who are always available to help, give advice and training. Extreme Sports Café’s partner Phuket Wind surfing school, are also the Starboard distributor for Phuket making sure they always have the best materials available. The sail range covers all wind conditions you’ll find on Phuket.
Stand Up Paddle Boarding, (SUP), is the new water-sport that is exploding into popularity. Essentially it is standing on a giant surfboard and propelling yourself along with a single ended paddle. Lighter than a Kayak and easier to store, with no moving parts it is more simple than windsurfing. It is safe and does not require expensive lessons or special conditions such as with kite-boarding, much cheaper than sailing. Weather it be surf, river or lake, it is a great way to introduce water-sports into your life and enjoy the nature around you. SUP also known as Beach Boy Surfing, is a water-sport that can be enjoyed by everyone, everywhere there is water. It can be a serene and peaceful form of gentle exercise or exciting and physically demanding, however you do it, it is great for your body. Stars like Pierce Brosnan, Sting, Cindy Crawford, and Kate Hudson are into Stand Up Paddle boarding and now Thailand with it's warm waters,beautiful beaches and waterways is fast catching on to this simple, yet captivating new water-sport.
This royal Hawaiian sport is so easy and amazing that you can have fun just after a few minutes. You can enjoy riding it in the warm tropical waters of Phuket island. Waves are not required, and flat water adventures are a must to discover paradisiacal inhabited islands surrounded by turquoise waters. You can also try our SUP eco trek in the mangrove, unspoiled nature guaranteed. From May to November riding waves trip are also available.
Stand Up Paddle Boarding Experiences on Phuket in Thailand from Extreme Sports Cafe
Explore mangroves, small islands close to shore, lagoons, surf spots or inland estuaries, experience some of the most beautiful coast line in the world and stand where no-person has stood before as you stroll the ocean on these amazing yet simple new ocean toys. High quality, eco friendly and low volume, come and escape the crowds with our Half Day SUP trips.
- Ao Sane - Ko Man Island - Beginner trip level - Any time trip
- Ao Rawaï -Ko Lon Island - High tide trip only
- Nai-Yang - Sirinat National Park - High tide trip only
- Saphan-Hin – Mangrove Eco Trek - High tide trip only
Because these are eco trips, some of the trips are only available during the high tide. The schedule or destination of the eco trips can also change due to weather conditions so please do contact us with your preferred eco trip dates.
- Don’t forget to bring: Towel, swimwear, lycra or T-shirt, sun block, hat, sun glasses, spare dry clothes, and shoes that can go in water for the mangrove eco trek, a waterproof camera is a must to take (you can buy from us 500 Bt).
- The centre supply: SUP instructor, transfers, life jackets and drinking water.
- Kids are welcome, on parent’s board if their light enough or they can have their own board if they are tall enough.
- SUP lessons are 1 hour + 1 hour free practice
You can also rent SUP and go out by yourself for a "stroll on the water".
- 1-Hour SUP Rental. Half Day SUP Rental. 1-Day SUP Rental
Phuket gets it's surf from the South West monsoon, this starts in May and ends in October, this is also the rainy season on Phuket. The most rain falls in May, September and October. During the months June, July and August most of the time the weather is fine though there are occasional showers but they don't last long.
November till March brings beautiful sunny weather with cool trade winds blowing. Temperatures at night are around 23 degrees Celsius and during the daytime 30 or 32 degrees Celsius. This season is our winter.
- May to September and first half of October are the wettest periods as this is the Wet season. June, July and August generally have fine weather with an occasional shower. At night temperatures are around 28 degrees Celsius and during the daytime 32 or 34 degrees Celsius. Good swells for surfing roll in from the Indian Ocean as well with July and August being fairly windy too.
Why Stand Up Paddle Boarding is good for your Health.
Stand Up Paddle Surfing is an ancient form of surfing. Yet it is most widely enjoyed on relatively flat water. Most Cities are founded on Waterways, so most people have access to a stretch of water where they can get out for a "stroll on the water". This can be very easy and gentle gliding or flat out sprinting depending on whether you are looking for a calm relaxing experience or a hard-core workout.
- Training on unbalanced surfaces is very effective for building the core muscle groups, (stomach and back) and for training muscles to fire in co-coordinated ways so that the benefits are immediately transferable to other dynamic sports and activities. As oppose to traditional resistance training where muscles are trained to work in isolated groups in a stable environment. In sport we require our bodies to provide explosive strength while we are on the move, this is the sort of benefit you get from cross training in a more fluid environment and this where SUP excels.
Accommodation - Phuket Thailand
On Phuket there is a wide choice of accommodation ranging from very good value roughly 450 baht to 600 baht a night, comfortable guesthouses some with swimming pool and restaurant to very expensive 6 star mega luxury hotels.
Getting Around - Phuket Thailand
There are two types of buses - the Songtaew - blue open-air buses that run between Phuket Town and the main resorts, and air-conditioned "micro" buses that service the Phuket Town area. Songthaews (small pick up buses) cost 15-20 baht for all destinations. For transfer from the airport, there's only one authorised "limousine" service that has fixed fares. Expect to pay 100-200 Baht for a shared minibus or up to 500 baht for a private taxi, depending on your destination. There are also metered taxis for hire just outside the airport terminal and around Phuket Town and other centers.
For short distances tuk tuks are fine, but their small size makes them uncomfortable for anything longer than about 30 minutes. Costs usually 100Baht depending on the distance, the weather and your bargaining skill.
Getting There - Phuket Thailand
Phuket can be reached via Bus or Plane from Bangkok
- By Bus - To get the VIP bus get yourself to Bangkok's Southern Bus Terminal on the Thonburi side of the Chao Phraya River. (ignore the buses that are waiting outside as these are the public service buses) Go to the ticket booth inside the terminal (it’s the place that has the roof over it) and book your ticket there. The buses leave once every 30 minutes beginning at 04:00am in the morning and stopping just before midnight everyday. When planning your trip to the bus station in Bangkok please give ample time for traffic jams in the morning and evening, the commuter traffic can get ridiculously heavy so be sure to allow extra time on your journey.
- By Plane - If you’re in a real hurry or can’t stand the bus ride for 11 hours then you can catch a 1 hour flight to Phuket from Bangkok. Air Asia is recommended for these flights as they are frequent and pretty cheap with reliability. Phuket International Airport is located in the north of the island. There are many scheduled flights and chartered flights from domestics and other countries in Asia, Australia, Europe and North America landing in Phuket.
Stand Up Paddle Boarding Experiences on Phuket in Thailand from Extreme Sports Cafe