Sea Kayaking in Thailand? Come and experience the natural wildlife and stunning beauty of Southern Thailand from a sea kayak, which makes it unforgettable..Experience is certainly not necessary for most of our sea kayaking trips, we train beginners and novices during the sea kayaking trips and gear our trips accordingly. Most of our guests have never paddled before. Sea kayaking is an ever-growing and rewarding recreational activity. Nothing beats sneaking up on wildlife from the convenience of a kayak. You will have experiences in a kayak that you simply can’t by any other means. Your kayaking tour is designed for first-time paddlers and novices. Experienced kayakers are also welcomed.
Some sea kayaking trips are easier than others. Our Khao Sok National Park Sea Kayaking Trip is very easy. We spend a lot of time just sitting in our kayaks watching monkeys and birds. Our Phang Nga Bay sea kayaking trip is another easy trip and is for just about everyone. You'll have to paddle through a few stretches, but all in all, it's very easy. All paddling is short and easy in protected waters. We usually paddle about 3 to 5 hours each day. This is flexible. Our support truck meets us at the end of every day. We'll have electricity, toilets, and a restaurant after a day's paddling. Both of these tours offer stunning limestone karst topography. If you don't have enough time for a multi-day kayaking trip, you can participate in a Phang Nga Bay Day Trip. We usually prefer bungalows and guesthouses over camping in the tropics, however we do offer Kayaking and Camping Tours as well. We usually choose our accommodations according to the quality of their restaurant! Comfort, convenience, and great food is our hallmark.
- Sea Kayaking - Phang Nga Bay 1-day tour
- Sea Kayaking - Phang Nga Bay 2-day tour
- Sea Kayaking - Phang Nga bay 3-day tour
- Sea Kayaking - Phang Nga bay 4-day tour
- Phang Nga bay 2-day kayaking & camping tour
- Phang Nga Bay 3-day kayaking & camping tour
- Phang Nga Bay 4-day kayaking & camping tour
- Sea Kayaking - Khao Sok National Park 3-day tour
- Sea Kayaking - Khao Sok National Park 4-day tour
- Sea Kayaking - Khao Sok National Park 5-day tour
- Sea Kayaking - 4-day Trang Islands tour (seasonal)
- Sea Kayaking - 6-day Trang Islands tour (seasonal)
Note: All sea kayaking prices are based on twin share basic rooms. Single-person supplement - US$12 per day for all sea kayaking trips in Southern Thailand.
Extreme Sports Cafe's partner Phuket Kayaking Adventure Centre are a nature-based paddling adventure travel company. They specialise in small group sea kayaking, river kayaking and outdoor adventure travel tours to remote and unspoiled destinations in Southern Thailand. With over 30 years of paddling experience, they are the most experienced kayaking tour operator in Southern Thailand. Every aspect of their lives (personally and as tour leaders), is geared toward the enjoyment of the environments and fragile eco systems without unduly changing them. Their primary means of experiencing an area is on water. Using muscle-powered kayaks to lessen the impact on the environment you also get closer to wildlife and the natural world. You will find paddling kayaks to be the most practical balance between exposing yourself to a new environment and not interfering with existing eco systems.
- Our partner Phuket Kayaking Adventure Centre also offer Educational Programs for International Schools and they are certified to run Duke of Edinburgh trips through the International Award for Young People organisation.
- You will use modern touring decked sea kayaks. These are real kayaks that you sit inside, not sluggish sit-on-top boats.
- Our partner Phuket Kayaking adventure centre is not just for the young lion. The fitness level required is not meant to be intimidating. You do not have to be an athlete. The average guest is middle age or older. Families are, of course, very welcomed too.
Kayaking Adventure Tour Phang Nga Bay, Phuket with Extreme Sports Cafe
Phang Nga Bay Kayaking Trip - Phang Nga Bay is one of the most popular tourist destinations in southern Thailand. Every day over a dozen canoeing tour companies and countless independent tour operators take tourists to a few well-known locations in Phang Nga Bay. The result is similar to road traffic in Bangkok. It's noisy, congested, and chaotic. The tourists see the famous "hongs", or inner island lagoons in some of the islands, and make the obligatory trip to see "James Bond Island". We avoid everywhere that others go.
Level: very easy - suitable for first-timers and beginners Season: all year
(Kayak Camping Trip November through the middle of April)
Phang Nga Bay is a large, lovely area that seems different in every change in weather and light. There are many fine secluded islands that can be explored at our leisure in comfortable touring kayaks. In these areas, where only the occasional fisherman is seen, wildlife is plentiful.
- Each of our trip leaders has paddled extensively in Phang Nga Bay since 1993. No one in southern Thailand has more paddling experience! All of our Thai tour guides are licensed through the Tourism Authority of Thailand..
- Our guests, paddling at their own pace, quickly learn the difference between White-belly Sea Eagles and Brahminy Kites (another large raptor) by the wing configuration while in flight. Other frequent sightings include Pacific Reef Egrets, a wide variety of Kingfishers, Little Herons, Frigate Birds, and Blue Rock Thrushes. Sometimes we catch sight of Oriental Pied Hornbills or Southern Pied Hornbills perched in trees or in flight. Check out our Thailand birding site.
- We frequently come upon monitor lizards sunning on rocks, and often see Crab-eating Macaques on the beach or moving in trees near the water. Sometimes we see Dusky langurs in trees high on a cliff face. Monkeys are common in the bay.
- We stay in bungalows on an island with a wonderful view of limestone karst formations spread out before us. We enjoy the laid back quality of island life.
- The bungalows we've chosen are locally owned and operated. All of the money generated by this operation stays on Ko Yao Noi. The community is striving to develop sustainable growth and we support them fully. If you are booking a private trip and are interested in more upscale accommodations, just let us know exactly what you want and we'll quote you a price.
Kayaking and Camping Trips - For those who really don't want to see anyone else in the bay or who wish to spend all of their time close to Mother Nature, we also offer kayaking and camping trips. Kayak Camping Trip in Phang Nga Bay. Season: November through the middle of April. Your search for the perfect environmentally-responsible kayak camping trip is over. Join us and feel for yourself how rewarding an experience it can be.
Phang Nga Bay Sea Kayaking Trip Sample Itinerary
Day-1 Phang Nga Bay Sea Kayaking
- We pick up our guests by taxi or van at about 8:30 a.m. on the first morning and meet at the pier at about 9:00 a.m. and board our covered escort boat. As we leave the bay, you get your first look at the remarkable karst formations.
- Your first stop is an island with a large 'hong', an interior room formed by the collapse of a huge cave system in the middle of the island. If the water is high, you'll paddle through cave and into the hong. If the tide is lower, you'll land at a beach and walk into the 'hong' through a short tunnel. This is a most impressive introduction to the unique geology which we will explore for three days.
- After visiting the hong, you'll go for your first real paddle. Circumnavigating the island, you'll observe the variety of birds, monitor lizards, fish, crabs, orchids, fruit bats and monkeys that live on and around the island. There are certain areas where we generally see Brown-winged kingfishers. Brahminy kites and White-bellied sea eagles are a common sight on the back side of the island.
- Returning to the escort boat you'll have refreshments, lunch and have time for a swim in the lagoon.
- After lunch we'll paddle across a channel to a lovely bay on a larger island. You can go for a short nature walk to see a large, old ficus tree and other native vegetation. Barking deer are sometimes seen or heard here. You'll have a good chance of seeing monitor lizards clinging to the oyster-encrusted rocks. Returning to the beach, you'll have time for another swim.
- We return to our escort boat. There is time for refreshments while the kayaks are loaded, then we make the scenic trip along the east coast of Yao Noi Island to our bungalows.
- The bungalows are owned by a lovely local family. Our primary bungalows are Holiday Resort Bungalows. If they are full, we use Pasai Bungalows. Both of these bungalows sit in a shallow bay overlooking several small islands. Krabi lies in the distance. Our back-up bungalows are called Santisook. They've very nice, but they're not on a beach and that's the only drawback. The bungalows are very nice.
- Before retiring to our rooms, we pre-order breakfast so it will be ready for us in the morning. If you'd like to try a more traditional Thai breakfast, we can visit downtown Ko Yao Noi and go to a very local restaurant.
Day-2 Phang Nga Bay Sea Kayaking
- After enjoying a Western or Thai-style breakfast or a Western breakfast, we board our escort boat for a full day of exploration. We go to a group of small islands, transfer to a beach, then get ready to paddle.
- Each island in this group is within a ten minute paddle of the next one. We paddle around an island, alert for the special features and wildlife of that place. There are a number of beaches where we can rest as desired. Then we're off to the next island.
- We'll return to our escort boat for lunch and a swim. Our afternoon paddle will be to a very special hong on a lovely island. We generally see Collared and Black-capped kingfishers, and sometimes White-bellied sea eagles will be lurking inside. There are many orchids in this hong and we have seen Long-tailed Macaques and Dusky Langurs (both are monkeys) climbing around the cliffs.
- Then we will paddle around this island, enjoying the great variety of rock formations and the lovely beaches.
- We again return to the escort boat and head for the bungalows. As with the previous day, there is time for a rest or a walk along the beach before we meet for dinner. The beach is perfect for late afternoon strolls. The islands in view offer great photo opts in the late afternoon lighting.
Day-3 Phang Nga Bay Sea Kayaking
- On a four-day itinerary, we can add in a day of snorkelling. There is a coral reef on the southern end of Ko Yao Yai (the largest island in the bay) that no one else visits. It's got a nice selection of coral and there is a diverse amount of fish and other marine life.
- If you prefer to paddle instead of going snorkelling, the west side of Ko Yao Yai offers very nice paddling and there are a dozen or more secluded beaches.
- During the summer months if the seas are a bit bumpy, there are other islands that you can visit. Safety is always priority numero uno and the bay offers sheltered water paddling no matter the weather.
Day-4 Phang Nga Bay Sea Kayaking
- Today is a special treat. We head out to explore an extensive area of mangroves. We explore different channels through this unique ecosystem. This is a remarkable area, a real highlight of the trip.
- Thailand's remaining mangrove forests are the breeding ground and nursery for much of the marine life in the ocean. And many creatures come to the mangroves to feed on the young fish, shrimp and crabs hiding among the root systems. We can, usually at lower tide levels, see the 'mud skipper', a fish whose lungs can extract oxygen from the air as well as from the water. They love to crawl around on the mud flats, and even climb the exposed roots of the mangrove trees.
- Your trip leader will give more knowledge of the adaptive mechanisms that allow the mangroves to thrive in low-oxygen mud, flooded daily by saltwater. We paddle slowly through an area where we have seen Buffy fish owls and Dusky langurs, and have heard the unforgettable sound of gibbons making their morning calls.
- Then it is time to head back to Ko Yao Noi and then head for Phuket.
- You will be back on Phuket by approximately 5:00 p.m. You will then be transferred to your hotel or anywhere on Phuket.
Phang Nga Bay Sea Kayaking Notes:
- Our Sea Kayaking trips are all-inclusive.
- This Phang Nga Sea Kayaking trip includes all transfers from and to the nearest airport or train station (airfare not included), all equipment, accommodations once on the trip, all meals, all snacks, coffee, tea, complimentary T shirt and insurance.
- Exact itinerary will vary with tide levels and times of year. In the event of strong winds that sometimes occur in low season, we can stay on the lee (protected side) of islands, depending on the needs of each group. This flexibility allows our Phang Nga Bay tour to be offered year 'round. This is the advantage of having skilled trip leaders for whom safety is always the primary consideration.
- Our company longtail boat is large enough to carry our boats and gear. There is plenty of room under the roof to sit out of the sun between visits to islands.
- We offer two-day, three-day and four-day trips into the Bay, for two to eight people. Larger group bookings are available on request. Discounts apply for group and family bookings. If you're time is limited, we offer day trips in Phang Nga Bay on request.
- Longer trips in Phang Nga Bay are also available. There is certainly enough to see and do to warrant more time.
- No experience is needed for most of our trips. Phang Nga Bay and Khao Sok are our easiest trips. The majority of our guests have never paddled before. No problem, we'll teach you proper paddling technique.
Although we are not really in the day trip market, we do run Phang Nga Bay day trips on request. Explore world-famous Phang Nga Bay's many stunning islands, caves and mangrove channels in a way that is completely different from other tour operators. Even though the bay is extremely popular and gets hordes of tourists daily, it is still possible to visit the bay without seeing them.
We specialise in getting away from other tourists. Luckily, everyone else goes to the NW corner of the bay or the southern regions, we go to the NE corner... just as beautiful, just as much to offer and many paddling options.
1-Day Sea Kayaking Phang Nga Bay Itinerary
- We usually go to visit the hong in Ko Roi (a hong is a hidden inner island lagoon), Ko Kudu Noi and Ko Kudu Yai when we do day trips. Sometimes we also visit Ko Batang.
- There are nice cliffs on the Kudu islands as well as some small secluded beaches. Potential wildlife sightings include Brahminy Kites (raptors), White-bellied Sea Eagles, Long-tail Macaques (monkeys), Brown-winged Kingfishers, Collared Kingfishers and Water Monitor Lizards. Ko Batang offers more exciting cliffs and there is one lovely beach on the west side of the island.
- Lunch is always a treat. We serve a variety of Thai dishes. The degree of spice is up to you. If you want to try the 'real deal', then that's what you'll get. Vegetarian food is also available.
Our one-day Sea Kayaking Phang Nga Bay trip includes transfers from nearest local airport, bus station or train station (airfare not included), all equipment, lunch, snacks, coffee and tea, and insurance. Plus, you'll receive a complimentary T shirt. Family discounts and group discounts are available.
Naturally we respect Thai and Lao cultural values. Remember, we will be going to areas that see few Western tourists.
- This means scantily dressed Westerners can easily offend the local people.
- It is particularly important that women realize in Muslim areas, it is very important not to appear in bikinis or other clothing that people of more traditional cultures would consider provocative or offensive.
- In other words, you won't be able to wear your bikini around the fishing villages. A pair of shorts and a shirt will do. Once on the water, you can do as you please.
Extreme Sports Cafe's partner Phuket Kayaking adventure centre is the premier company in southern Thailand that uses proper traditional decked sea kayaks. Other paddle-powered boats in use in southern Thailand include inflatable canoes and plastic or fibreglass sit-on-top kayaks. Each of these has its specific usefulness, yet both fall short of the thrilling experience that you can have when paddling a real sea kayak.
- Kayaking adds a new dimension to your traveling experience. If you appreciate quality and inherent value, a modern traditional kayak adds a new style to an old form of travel. Traditional kayaks are considered the standard worldwide. Our modern traditional kayaks are a perfect blend of craftsmanship and art. It's where the time-tested ancient meets the modern. They are comfortable and very efficient. Efficiency translates into added comfort. Our sleek kayaks slice through the water. Furthermore, we have a huge selection to suit all body sizes. Your comfort is very important to us.
The standard boat for all other paddling tour companies in southern Thailand is a sluggish sit-on-top. They are cheap in price and design. Suitable for resort use and piddling about in a small pond, they are disappointingly slothful when coastal and open ocean paddling. If sit-on-tops were really an improvement over the time-honoured traditional kayak, wouldn't operators all over the world be switching? All quality tour operators use real kayaks!
- With a traditional decked touring kayak, the paddler is an intimate part of the boat. The paddler’s feet are resting on footrest and his/her knees are pressed against “thigh braces” under the deck. Modern kayaks have very comfortable seats. To customise the seat and to gain more control, many paddlers attach hip pads to the sides of the seat. This increases the control, it’s something that cannot be done with an inflatable canoe and it would be very difficult with a sit-on-top. Some sit-on-top kayaks have a thigh strap option. This is still not as secure as a rigid deck to brace against.
Our philosophy is "Quality without compromise." Your vacation is too valuable to spend labouring in a barge when you have a delightfully efficient alternative. Don't be confused by cheaper imitations. New doesn't necessarily mean better. Traditional decked kayaks are a clear choice when only the best will do".
- Extreme Sports Cafe's partner Phuket Kayaking Adventure centre provides you with high quality traditional sea kayaks and equipment, delightful meals, kayak technique instruction, and an overall ecstatic time in paradise. You will learn about the natural world and the efforts to preserve it. They are the only adventure tour company offering the traditional kayak based outdoor adventure in southern Thailand. The tour leaders are enthusiastic, experienced professionals with the ability to provide you with a safe and enjoyable outdoor adventure. Their knowledge of Asia’s rivers, oceans, and wildlife, combined with our attention to details, will make travel to Thailand your most memorable outdoor adventure.
The pleasure of exploring the rocky coast or headland of a lovely island is best experienced not in a noisy longtail boat, nor a fast powerboat, not even in a yacht. To be near the rocks, watching sea birds and crabs, looking down at coral and fish; this celebration of tropical ocean touring is best done under one's own power, in a fast, manoeuvrable, stable, traditional sea kayak.
Sea Kayaking Adventure Tour Phang Nga Bay, Phuket with Extreme Sports Cafe
Who runs our Sea Kayaking Adventure tours?
Extreme Sports Cafe and it's partner run Sea Kayaking Adventure Tours on Phuket, Thailand. We offer a range of exciting, challenging and fun experiences for you to enjoy whilst on holiday and will have more kayaking (kayaking centers) elsewhere soon...
Extreme Sports Cafe's partner Phuket Kayaking Adventure Centre are a nature-based paddling adventure travel company. They specialise in small group sea kayaking, river kayaking and outdoor adventure travel tours to remote and unspoiled destinations in Southern Thailand. With over 30 years of paddling experience, they are the most experienced kayaking tour operator in Southern Thailand. Every aspect of their lives (personally and as tour leaders), is geared toward the enjoyment of the environments and fragile eco systems without unduly changing them. Their primary means of experiencing an area is on water. All trip guides are certified in CPR, First Aid and basic life guard training through the Phuket Lifeguard Club. Our partner Phuket Kayaking adventure centre also offer Educational Programs for International Schools and they are certified to run Duke of Edinburgh trips through the International Award for Young People organisation.
Where do I take it from here?
You can go on to improve your kayaking with more practice and enjoy more advanced trips, become an instructor and teach others, join a club and buy your own kayaking equipment and go kayaking safely whenever you want. Let us know how we can help...
If you have any questions, then please don’t hesitate to get back to us – we’ll be only too pleased to help. After all, the team at ESC are passionate about our various sporting disciplines – we want you to be, as well!
GET IN TOUCH WITH US NOW TO START YOUR SEA KAYAKING ADVENTURE…