Paragliding is the simplest and purest form of flying there is. Whether you dream of soaring above the hills, or taking your canopy on holiday with you to explore exotic locations from the air, Extreme Sports Cafe can help you. As you take off with the canopy above your head, you feel the irresistible freedom of the skies. Experience it for yourself and learn to fly it's within your grasp. Join Extreme Sports Cafe in Spain for an unforgettable Paragliding Holiday..
Extreme Sports Cafe's partner Spain paragliding School run Full Paragliding courses in Agondales, Spain, these include the EP and CP Courses which are each a week long. The courses run consecutively to give people the option to continue training by taking the 6 day Club Pilot course, the next step to getting qualified and learning to stay aloft with the vultures. Paragliding Courses include accommodation for the duration of the course. We can also offer paragliding Thermalling & XC courses which also including accommodation for the duration of the course.
- Algodonales sits at the bottom of a fantastic 2,400ft mountain, Lijar. For years it has been a famous centre for paragliding and hang gliding in Southern Spain, the ‘Governor Valedares’ of Europe. Lijar is open to most wind directions and just to make life a little easier there is a fairly large local population of eagles and vultures, which, if not marking thermals, will surely be joining you in yours at some point. Flying at Lijar can start as late as 2pm as we wait for the sun to be fully on the S/W launch so expect plenty of mid afternoon to sunset flying.
- We generally head up the hill at ten thirty, for the early Xc hounds, the South Easterly offers good and early opportunities to get up and off. Algodonales is also within an easy thirty minutes drive of another five cracking flying sites. The coast is but an hour away and offers two other easy coastal sites and a potential 20k dune run.
- Algodonales is surrounded by a combination of both lakes and mountain ranges, which run from Granada and the Sierra Nevada in the East to Gibralta and Jerez in the Southwest. To the north are the flatlands running towards Seville.
For more information on Paragliding Guided Holidays in Spain from Extreme Sport Cafe, please check our Paragliding Guided Holiday Spain page.
For more information on Paragliding Courses in Spain from Extreme Sport Cafe, please check our Paragliding Spain Courses page.
Spain Paragliding Courses and Paragliding Training in Algodonales from Extreme Sports Cafe
Spain Paragliding - Important Notes
- You will need to have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and medical (including emergency repatriation) insurance for your time here. It is essential that you have both these items, as without them you will not be able to undertake the course. We are supported with an almost negligible liability. So we strongly recommend that you also have a personal accident policy, it’s worth having if your employment doesn’t cover sickness cover, in the event of any possible injuries and your families’ peace of mind.
- CP & EP Courses- Not included - Fee for license and membership to the Spanish Federation, FENDA.
- All pilots, even student pilots must be a member of the BHPA. If you live outside of the UK then you will be signed up to the Spanish Federation of flying automatically upon arrival. (not included in course fee)
- All paragliding holidays are inclusive of Accommodation and retrieve.
- Everyone is welcome. There will be an accommodation supplement for partners and children. Algodonales is a stunningly beautiful area. Reflexology, Homeopathy, horse riding, kitesurfing, Picnics, canoeing on the lake, stunning restaurants, charming bars and the beautiful white hillside villages of Andalusia, everything is out there to do and explore.
- Non-flyers - there is a supplement for non-flyers.
- All qualifications attained with us are UK BHPA qualifications recognised the world over.
Paragliding Spain Travel - Flights, Transfers and Transport
- Cheap flights can be found with Easyjet from Gatwick (one way) and there are also more options with most other carriers. (Last Call Flights, Flight Line)
- When booking your flight into Malaga please try and arrive mid-morning and depart mid-afternoon as this will ensure you airport transportation. (the school car arrives at 1pm for arrivals and departures) Buses and taxi’s are available outside of these times and we can advise you on these.
- There is also a bus, which runs outside the front of the main doors of Malaga Airport every 15 minutes to the Central bus depot. A bus from there to Algodonales or Ronda costs at most 10 Euros and takes about 1.5- 2hrs, is very comfortable and an easy way to get here.
- At the Airport hire cars are also available from many a brokers.
Spain Paragliding - Accommodation
You will be in apartments in the village of Algodonales. Prices are based on two sharing a room, though do ask if you would prefer a room to yourself or want to bring a partner or family member etc. There are a fair selection of lovely tapas bars and restaurants, all mostly open into the early hours of the morning, how very civilised. Breakfast is usually in a local café on the square. We will grab lunch en route between flying.
Spain Paragliding Equipment
Most paragliding equipment is sold during tuition. We appreciate that when you first come to paragliding it is very difficult to comprehend the difference between one glider and another. Paragliding manufacture has made such huge steps in safety, manufacturing and design that it is now fairly difficult to buy a truly bad new first glider, although there are occasional dubious second hand gliders lurking on Internet auction rooms. With the choice being so huge these days its worth asking your instructor what glider would suit your weight and you’re flying environment. Safety is always going to be paramount to us and we spend much of the early season trying out new equipment and test flying gliders.
Spain Paragliding Essentials list (* signifies mandatory requirement)
- Medical Insurance including emergency repatriation and paragliding.*
- European Health Insurance Card. (EHIC)*
- Paper Drivers licence if you wish to a hire car.*
- Boots with ankle support. (i.e. walking boots or timberlands, not trainers)*
- Sunblock – although you can now buy that in the village.*
- Clothes - the usual plus a fleece and something windproof.*
- Wind proof clothing of any description.*
- Gloves. (available from our shop)*
- Loose fitting trousers, ideally not jeans.*
- You may get muddy so sufficient changes of clothes.*
- Reserve parachute, please contact us prior to week if you don’t have one.* (Pilot thermalling & XC)
- 2 meter radio N.B Limited radio hire available at 10 euros per day.* (Pilot thermalling & XC)
- Clothes- the usual plus a fleece and something windproof.* (Pilot thermalling & XC)
Spain Paragliding Recommended Reading list
- Touching Cloudbase - Ian Currer.
- The Pilot Handbook – Mark Dale & The BHPA.
- Understanding the Sky – Dennis Pagen.
- Meterology in Flight – Tom Bradbury.
The area you will be visiting is, in our opinion one of the finest and most beautiful regions in all of Southern Spain. The area is steeped in history, stunning countryside, local sherry houses and tapas bars, so we are confident that you will enjoy your Paragliding Holiday with us.
Spain Paragliding Courses and ParaglidingTraining in Algodonales from Extreme Sports Cafe