Koh Samui, Thailand’s third largest tropical island is situated in the scenic gulf of Siam. For many this is a perfect example of a tropical paradise island - and we think that’s true. Tall coconut trees line white sandy beaches, world famous warm Thai hospitality and add to that a nice steady breeze and you have the perfect location to learn kitesurfing. Extreme sports Café is pleased to offer Kite surfing lessons on Koh Samui with our partner Kite surfing center on this tropical paradise island, and world-class kite-spot for all levels.
Extreme Sports Cafe's partner Kiteboarding school was established in the end of 2001, they have been teaching kiteboarding for over 8 years now and we have a lot of experience on teaching (More than 1000 students/year) with the best IKO instructors and the best new equipment in the market for teaching, so you are guaranteed to have the best instruction and quality of lesson. At the end of the 3 day course all our students receive an IKO certification stating their IKO level. Extreme Sports Cafés partner Kite surfing center has three locations on Koh Samui for Kitesurfing.
Hua Thanon kite surfing center is open from end of October till March and located on the south east side of Koh Samui. The center is situated at the Resort, located on the south east side of the island away from the busy tourist areas. The beach is fine sand with few shells and broken up coral, and almost no tourists, the only other people are your fellow kiters. At times there can be build up of natural debris on the beach, generally after a tropical rain. Some areas also have build up of coral, so booties are recommended for the intermediate kiter. Students are taught away from the coral. The beach will be cleaned each morning through the season.
- Maenam kite surfing center is open from February till April and located on the north side of Koh Samui. The Kite center is situated in the middle of the Maenam beach, at the speedboat pier. Maenam is in the north part of Koh Samui, there are good winds here from February till April. We teach from the tip between Maenam and Bophut with our boat. The beach is fine sand with few shells and broken up coral, and almost no tourists, the only other people are your fellow kiters. Some areas also have build up of coral, so booties are recommended for the intermediate kiter. Students are taught away from the coral.
- Naton kite surfing center is open from mid May till September and is located on the west side of Koh Samui. The Kite surfing center is situated 2km north of Naton on the main ring road, on the west side of Koh Samui. Winds are light and south west or westerly. The location is on the inside of a reef giving us nice flat water. booties are supplied although the area is mostly fine sand. Very few tourists use the area and the only other people are your fellow kiters.
Koh Samui, Thailand's third largest tropical island is situated in the scenic gulf of Siam. Tall coconut trees line white sandy beaches, add to that a nice steady breeze and you have the perfect location to learn to kite.
Kitesurfing Courses and Experiences on Koh Samui Thailand with Extreme Sports Cafe
Using the latest IKO teaching methods, we place a major emphasis on learning to safely rig / land / launch / fly a 4-Line inflatable kite. We want flying an inflatable kite to become second nature to you. Learn to fly these kites confidently and safely and the board riding will be easier than you would ever expect. In all our kitesurfing lessons we have kept theory to a minimum and placed more emphasis on getting out on the beach / in the water and DOING it. By the end of the 3 days you should have completed IKO kiteboarder Level 1 and Level 2 and be a independant kiteboarder.
The standard course outline will be as follows below and emphasizes hands on practice:
- Day-1: Rigging up a 4 line kite and equipment safety systems, understanding the wind and weather, site assessment and safety, flying a 4-line kite on short lines, launching, landing, water re-launching, emergency quick release, self landing, equipment types and safety systems.
- Day-2: Independently rigging up long lines, flying in the chicken loop, flying confidently at the edge of the wind window, rescue techniques, body dragging techniques, self launching techniques, basic water techniques.
- Day-3: Water start techniques, board riding techniques, water re-launch in deep water.
Note: 1-day is roughly 2 - 4+ hours group lesson.
- This is a fun day covering similiar skills as the 1st day of the 3 day kite surfing course. This kitesurfing course aims to give you a better understanding of what makes kiteboarding the great sport it is. You should come away with good knowledge of how the equipment works and the varying options. You will gain skills in rigging and flying a 4 line and/or a ram-air trainer kite.
- Note: 1-day is roughly 2 - 4+ hours group lesson.
- On this kite surfing course we work on any skills you may require such as going upwind, gibing, water re-launching, and jumping.
- Note: min / max 2 students per instructor.
Extreme Sports Cafés partner Koh Samui Kitesurfing center, use the latest kites, boards and accessories for students on kitesurfing courses.
- Boards: Depending on your weight and skill level either of the tried and tested Airush Square 1, 2 or 3 boards. These boards are a bi-directional design with enough volume to prevent the board being an issue when you are learning.
- Kites: 4-Line inflatable kites are used to teach. Why learn with a two line when you are going to purchase and use a 4-line kite? You start out on 4-line kites in the 6-9m^2 size range using short lines, progressing to larger kites and longer lines depending on the wind strength and your body weight. Extreme Sports Cafés partner Kitesurfing center has a large selection of kites ranging from 1.2,6,8,9,12,14,16 and 18m^2 sizes.
Accessories: The Koh Samui kitesurfing center supply Cabrinha Seat and Waist harnesses, Gath safety helmets, and buoyancy/ impact vests.
- 25hp inflatable boat that we use for safety and teaching.
- Helmet mounted radios when board riding. This speeds up learning and makes the whole process easier for everyone.
- Fun and professional instruction.
Item that you should bring to the lesson:
- UV rated sunglasses (that you don't mind losing!) with a secure strap, a hat with a strap, lots of sun screen, a rash vest and booties (optional).
Complete Kitesurfing Hire Package includes kite,board,harness,bar,lines...
- 1-Day is all day from opening to closing.
- You must prove to the kite surfing center that you are an advanced level kiteboarder before you can rent kite surfing equipment.
- When renting kite surfing equipment, you are responsible for this equipment. If damage is incurred, you will be required to pay the cost to repair or if a write off, the cost to replace the kitesurfing equipment.
Extreme Sports Cafe's partner kite surfing Koh Samui center has the largest selection of kites, boards, accessories and spare parts in Asia and it is all in stock !!!. They stock the most popular brands of kiteboarding equipment Airush, Cabrinha, Best, North, Naish, Ozone, Slingshot, Oceanrodeo, Crazy Fly. Their trained staff, all of whom kiteboard, will advise you and help you make the choice of what suits you. They also stock Sea Specks sunnies, lycra shirts, instructional movies, Gath Helmets and Neil Pryde clothing & footwear and many more accessories for the sport.
Hua Thanon kite surfing center is open from end of October till March and located on the south east side of Koh Samui. The Kite surfing center is situated at the Resort, located on the south east side of the island away from the busy tourist areas. On a windy day this kiteboarding location feel like it has been sent to us from the gods. For teaching there is a shallow sandy bay with an outlying reef which protects the inner bay and keeps the water flat like glass. For the intermediate the reef waves will keep you busy as will the flat water in the bays either side of the teaching lagoon.
- The Wind: From November to the end of February we receive northeasterly wind, ranging from 8 to 20 knots, perfect for the beginner and intermediate. The wind blows cross shore to onshore.
- The sea: Inside the reef the water is warm and flat, waves building outside the reef as the wind strength increases. Varying tide heights produce from flat water, knee to waist during low tide to waist to chest deep at high tide. No nasty marine animals to watch out for here. Board shorts and a rashie is all that’s required.
Water temperatures: range from 26-28 Celsius throughout the year.
Maenam kite surfing center is open from February till April and located on the north side of Koh Samui. The kitesurfing center offers kite rental, kite courses and kite lessons, equipment sales, Wash down facilities, toilets and onsite restaurant and bar.
- The Wind: From February till April we receive southasterly wind, ranging from 8 to 15 knots, perfect for the beginner and intermediate. The wind blows side to sideonshore.
- The sea: The sea around the tip is waist deep water and getting deeper after 20-50m. Easy accessible with the boat and very, flat to choppy water. No nasty marine animals to watch out for here. Board shorts and a rashie is all that’s required.
- Water temperatures: range from 26-28 Celsius throughout the year.
Naton kite surfing center is open from mid Mai till September and is located on the west side of Koh Samui. The kitesurfing center offers kite rental, kite courses and kite lessons, equipment sales, Wash down facilities, toilets and onsite restaurant and bar.
- The Wind: From April till September we receive southwesterly wind, ranging from 8 to 15 knots, perfect for the beginner and intermediate. The wind blows side to side-onshore.
- The sea: The water in the bay is shallow and ranges from flat to small waves. No nasty marine animals to watch out for here. Board shorts and a rashie is all that’s required.
- Water temperatures: range from 26-28 Celsius throughout the year.
Things that can affect your kiteboarding pleasure
- Squally / Stormy conditions: The wind on Koh Samui is best when the weather is clear, no clouds, no rain. When rain comes generally this is associated with bursts of wind / gusty conditions. For your safety and other beach goers, stop kiting as soon as you see dark clouds on the horizon. for more information on dangerous kitesurf weather patterns in Thailand.
Coconuts trees: There are plenty along the beach, make sure you launch as far away from the shore as possible (you can walk out, dont be lazy), the wind for the majority of the season is x-onshore or onshore.
- Coral and Rocks: At low tide the rocks on the reef can damage boards and bodies. Make sure there is enough water to pass over the outer reef before trying to kite in that region. Also after removing the rocks south of the center, there are still small pieces of coral close to shore just south of the center. Avoid especially during mid to low tide.
- Sunshine and having too much fun: Wear plenty of sunscreen and drink plenty of water. The temperature of the water dehydrates you more quickly than you may realize. Force yourself to drink and you will be able to kite all day. A camel pack worn while kiting works really well.
Koh Samui Kiteboarding Center Guidelines
Extreme Sports Cafés partner Kitesurfing Koh Samui center has built up a solid reputation for safety on Koh Samui. Your compliance with the following will help keep Na Thian beach safe and open for kiteboarding. The following kite-guidelines are enforced by the Resort Staff and the kitesurfing center around the School Area.
- Kiters must give right of way to ALL beach users.
- The southern point of Na Thain should be avoided during north east winds due to gusty conditions.
- Non customers of the Resort will be charged 200thb a day to kite and use the resorts facilities.
- Do not accept help from non kiteboarders.
- Please accept that this is a relatively new sport and most people have no idea of the dangers of kiteboarding. Assume everyone on the beach is ignorant, and accept that people will get in your way. It is up to you to educate them in a calm and friendly manner.
- Kiteboarders must kite away from kitesurfing center students.
Koh Samui Getting there:
- Fly: Bangkok airways fly's daily to Bangkok / Koh Samui / Bangkok.
- They also have flights to and from Koh samui to Krabi, Pattaya, Singapore and Hong Kong.
- Trains: Available from Bangkok and Malaysia to Surat Thani. You must book in advance to get an A or B class seat (sleeper) and don't bother with C class. Cost around 700 Baht.
- Buses: (overnight) leave from Khao San Road or Southern Bus Station, Bangkok around 6:00pm daily and cost around 600 baht. Go to a local travel agency in Bangkok and get a combination bus, ferry ticket.