Nicknamed South Africa's playground, Durban holds all the ingredients to be one of the best kitesurfing destinations in the world. Durban is renowned for its tropical climate and warm waters throughout the year. It boasts pristine beaches, amazing wave riding conditions as well as some great flat-water locations. Extreme Sports Café has teamed up with a well-established school in Durban to offer you the chance to experience Kitesurfing in Durban, ‘South Africa’s playground’.
Durban South Africa's bewitching seaside playground in the sun, has from its earliest days possessed a special charm, a certain mystique that adds something extra to the meeting of warm Indian Ocean, radiant golden sands and lush sub-tropical greenery. All of the above combined, resulted in Durban being chosen to host the 2003 KPWT World Tour. (The Kiteboard Pro World Tour)
- Durban is the largest city in KwaZulu-Natal and also has an International Airport.
- Being a coastal city, Durban is constantly affected by the warm sea current flowing down its shoreline. Humidity is high.
- The coast to the north and south of Durban enjoys beautiful beaches and warm water. Sea temperatures vary from 25 degrees in summer to 18 degrees in winter.
- The Agulhas Current travels southward down the KwaZulu-Natal shoreline and is one of the most powerful currents in the world. The climate is tropical most of the year, with the summer thunderstorms bringing a slight relief from the humid atmosphere that prevails. The hills above the city are more temperate.
- The vegetation on the coastal regions is very abundant and tropical. Visitors to the area will see an amazing range of plants, trees and flowers not found in other parts of Southern Africa.
For more information on kite surfing Courses in Durban near Umhlanga from Extreme Sports Cafe, please check our Kitesurfing Durban Courses South Africa page.
Kitesurfing Courses and Experiences in Durban South Africa with Extreme Sports Cafe
Kitesurfing South Africa - Durban Spots
Durban's Kiteboarding conditions are second to none enjoying a perfect climate throughout the year making our partner Durban based Kiteboarding school, the most popular Kiteboarding school along the Kwazulu-Natal coast. Kitesurfers are now exploring this coastline and discovering new locations constantly. From perfect wave-riding spots to flat-water Lagoons, Kitesurfing in Durban KZN offers it all.
- Extreme Sports Café’s partner Durban Kitesurfing School selects particular areas for your kite lessons to ensure an enjoyable, safe experience.
- Durban has good weather all year with the best winds from Nov to March.
- The main training area is the La Mercy Lagoon. This Lagoon offers a perfect flat water area for learning how to Kitesurf.
- No need to worry about getting battered by the waves or tumbled in the shore-break at this idyllic location.
- The school instructors are all fully qualified and endorsed IKO Level 1 and 2 Instructors.
- The tropical climate allows for warm sunny weather - excellent for Kiteboarding lessons all year round.
- Durban is also known as The Zulu Kingdom and offers two world heritage sites, the majestic Drakensburg mountains, expansive game reserves, history-filled battlefields, the serene Midlands and a resort dotted coastline that stretches seemingly forever, in both directions.
Extreme Sports Café’s Durban Kitesurfing School are the importers of Flexifoil Kiting equipment for Southern Africa. For 35 years Flexifoil has been manufacturing performance kites with one aim in mind; to give their customers the ultimate Kitesports experience. This is why their kites are designed and built to the highest standards to deliver the best possible performance to you (no wonder Aaron Hadlow, the 5 x World Kitesurfing Champ, is riding Flexifoil).
Other cities in South Africa - distances from Durban
- Durban to Cape Town 1660km.
- Durban to Johannesburg 598km.
- Durban to Port Elizabeth 927km.
- Durban to Bloemfontein 667km.
- Durban to East London 667km.
- Durban to Pietermaritzburg 77km.
Kitesurfing South Africa - Wind Conditions Durban
The prevailing wind directions of the KwaZulu-Natal coastal belt are predominately from the north-east and south-west, perfect cross shore winds for Kitesurfing. SW winds are generally stronger and may at times be accompanied by rain. The May to June periods are generally our quieter times for winds. The strongest winds are in the September - October period at the end of winter.
Kitesurfing South Africa - Weather Durban
KwaZulu-Natal and Durban in particular, enjoy a warm sub-tropical climate for most parts of the year. Summer (Nov - Feb) temperatures are hot, from 24 - 30 degrees Celsius and Winter temperatures average at 20 degrees Celsius. Sea temperatures vary from 25 degrees in summer to 18 degrees in winter.
Uncrowded north and south coast beaches, warm water and year round sunshine. The wind is very consistent from September through to March and there are great wave riding spots available.
KwaZulu-Natal is THE place for a kite surfing adventure.