Kitesurfing in Chumphon offers beautiful beaches and nature. Non stop wind and the friendly Thai hospitality all combine to make your kite surfing training an unforgettable experience not to be missed. Extreme Sports Café’s partner Kitesurfing School is also a mobile kite school. The mobile Kitesurfing School is located through the year at the best kite surfing spots in Thailand, Phuket, Hua Hin and Chumphon. Extreme Sports Café’s partner mobile Kitesurfing School is in Chumphon November and December.
This coastal area is our latest discovery. Off the beaten track this is a beautiful unspoiled area on the east coast of Thailand about 450km south of Bangkok. During the northeast monsoon, (from November to mid-January), this spot has the best wind conditions in Thailand. For nature lovers, people who want to get away from it all and for those who want to experience real Thai culture, this is the place.
- Chumphon's kite surfing beach is "Thung Wa Laen" or as it is often called "Cabana beach". As a result of it's geographical position, during the northeast monsoon, (November to the middle of January), this is the place with the best wind conditions in Thailand. Upwind of Thung Wa Laen beach there is a large mountain, the north-east monsoon wind accelerates as it funnels past this mountain. This wind is given a further push by a sea breeze that kicks in every afternoon. This area is at trade wind latitude.
- The kitesurfing beginners spot is right next to Tung Wa Laen beach, this is in a large bay with a big sand bar going across the front of it, this stops all the waves. Behind the sand bar the water is dead flat and waist to chest deep. A perfect place, for learning kitesurfing.
- Thung Wa Laen beach itself is a good place for intermediate to advanced kite surfers. Near the beach there are small waves to play in and further out there are nice rolling swells. The wind at the beach is straight side shore.
- Bo Mau. Our teaching spot: June, July and August. Another fantastic and very scenic spot for learning with large shallow areas of flat water.
- When you go kite surfing at the beaches in this area, a large part of the village people will come out and watch you, they have never seen anything like this before.
Chumphon town is an interesting small town with all the things that you can expect from a town ie a shopping centre, travel agencies, book shops, nightlife and there is also a very good night market with a big variety of Thai food and fruit every night. It's only a 15 minute drive from Tung Wa Laen beach.
Kitesurfing Courses and Experiences in Chunmphon Thailand with Extreme Sports Cafe
This kite surfing course is a 3 hour lesson and is a fun basic course for the novice. Students are shown how to set up a kite, learn about what size they should use for different conditions. You will then learn basic kite control and learn safety protocols for launching, landing, emergency landing and self-rescue. All safety systems are covered. The emphasis is on technical information and safety. At the end of this day you should be able to have safe kite control in the air and on the ground.
- 1 person:4,800 baht
- 2 persons: 3,000 baht p/p
On day 1 you will you start with a short kite surfing theory lesson which shows that by putting the kite in different positions you can control it's power, safety aspects are covered. You then fly a small training kite which is a special small kite for usage on land, the student first learns to fly this kite and feel comfortable with it, we go at a pace that the students feels comfortable with. With the training kite the student then learns to do all the manoevres that he/she will be doing later on in the course with a tube kite. A tube kite is a kite with inflatable air tubes in it which is used by kite surfer's, professionals and beginners alike, in the water, you will be using a tube kite on day 2.
On day 2 you go into the water with a tube kite, with this kite we do the same manoeuvres as we did on the first day of the course with the training kite, we will also for example be doing what's called a body drag, whereby you are moving the kite up and down and letting the kite pull you along through the water, good fun but make sure your shorts are fastened tight, all kitesurfing safety aspects are also covered including how to re-launch the kite from the water.
- 1 person:11,200 baht
- 2 persons: 7,000 baht p/p
After this Beginner Kitesurfing course, most people will be doing their first rides. You will learn to move in the water from one point to another point by using the pull of the kite. You will also learn how to prepare starts with the board, how to water start, putting the board in different directions. You then learn how to go from one point to another on the board. We can use a video recorder for that if necessary.
At the end of a 3 day course a student will feel confident to go out on his/her own. Students will be riding and will know all necessary safety aspects and will also know a lot about the different kinds of equipment available and what kind and sizes of kites and boards are suitable for them. We also give our students lots of tips on how to take care of their kite surfing equipment to make it last long.
- 1 person:17,600 baht
- 2 persons: 11,000 baht p/p
This kite surfing course will help you progress further along from the level you have reached. For example: going upwind, jibes, jumps and transitions.
- 1 person:4800 baht
- 2 persons: 3000 baht p/p
Private Kitesurfing Lesson
To improve your actual kite surfing level or just get some extra tips ask for private Kitesurfing lessons.
- 1 person:1,600 baht
- 2 persons: 1,000 baht p/p
Kitesurfing Chumphon Notes
- All Kite surfing lessons take place in beautiful and safe locations.
- Personalised teaching, with no more than 2 students per instructor.
- Students are taught using a step-by-step approach.
- Instructors & safety boats present at all times to giving students maximum guidance.
- Full use of kite equipment included in lessons
- Helmet, harness and life jacket.
- A restaurant / bar on site that offers food drinks and relaxation areas.
Kite Boarding Skills and Steps Progression
- RESPECT OF THE SAFETY RULES
- MANIPULATE THE EQUIPMENT AND PREPARATION
- DRIVING THE KITE FROM THE GROUND
- TRY THE HARNESS FROM THE GROUND
- DRIVING THE KITE WITH THE HARNESS FROM THE WATER
- PULL SWIMMING WITH THE KITE
- STAY STABLE KITE IN THE AIR (WAITING POSITION)
- START IN A DEEP WATER WITH THE BOARD
- ORIENTATIONS AND DIRECTION
- RIDING, GOING UP WIND
Being the first southern province to be reached from every other part of the country, Chumphon is regarded as a gateway through which southbound visitors will have to pass before continuing on their routes to the western or eastern coasts.
- Chumphon is not only famed for its abundant seafood, but also known as a province of succulent fruits with various marvelous attractions like beaches, islands, forests and caves.
- The port city of Chumphon, is located on the Gulf some 463 kms south of Bangkok. It borders on Prachaup Khirikhan to the north, Burma and Ranong to the west, Surat Thani to the south and the 222 kms coastline of the Gulf of Thailand to the east.
- The town seems a little quiet at first but nighttime entertainment includes 4 discotheques and many pubs with live music. There is even a blues bar where a jazz band performs live every night.
- Chumphon is well worth a few days visiting some of the most beautiful beaches in the country can be found there, some of them are completely deserted, while some of them are fully serviced with resorts, restaurants and entertainment. Chumphon, in spite of being a very popular destination for Thai tourists, is still little known to the foreign tourists who consider the town as just a starting point to the island of Koh Tao. It is easy to go on to visit the South of Thailand from here too. Boats and speedboats leave every day to Koh Tao, Ranong and Surat Thani just two hours away.
- Diving and snorkeling is possible on the many islands just off the cost. The beauty and the variety of the snorkeling and diving sites really is unique.
- Chumphon is one of the fastest growing alternative tourist destinations in the Gulf of Thailand.
Low to middle range priced accommodation - Chumphon Thailand
The price for most accommodation at Tung Wa Laen beach ranges between 300 and 800 baht, for longer stays discounts are always possible. At the northern end of Tung Wa Laen beach this small friendly resort has nice bungalows with air-conditioning, hot water and tv for 600 baht a night. The cheaper rooms with fan go for 300 baht a night. (Discounts are possible for longer stays) Our kitesurfing school is based at these bungalows.
- Right next to Sea Beach bungalows is another resort called Sea Beach Resort, they have very nice spacious bungalows in a nice garden with air-conditioning, hot water and tv for 800 baht a night with discounts for longer stays.
- The Clean Wave Resort towards the middle of Tung Wa Laen beach,their nice bungalows, with hot water, tv and airconditioning go for 800 baht a night, their website address is www.cleanwave-resort.com If you want a comfortable bungalow with a bit of luxury then the 3 aforementioned resorts offer the best value at Tung Wa Laen beach.
Middle to high range price accommodation - Chumphon Thailand
- At the southern end of Tung Wa Laen Beach, is the Cabana Resort. Their bungalows and rooms have air conditioning / fan and cable TV. There is also a swimming pool. Every morning they have a big buffet breakfast open for anybody for 150 baht.
Kitesurfing Chumphon - Getting There - Chumphon Thailand
Chumphon is on the east coast of Thailand about 450 kilometres south of Bangkok. Rumour has it that Chumphon airport will be opening again soon. In the meantime you can get to Chumphon in the following ways:
- By Car - From Bangkok, use Highway No. 4, or Highway No. 35 (Thon Buri-Pak Tho) and join Highway No.4, pass Petchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, to Chumphon junction, then turn left along Highway No. 4001 for 8 kilometers to town.
If you are in Bangkok you can take the train or bus, traveling time is approximately 7 and a half hours. Thailand has a good bus system. You can reach Chumphon quite easily from anywhere in Thailand.
- By Bus - Buses regularly depart from the Bangkok Southern Bus Terminal to Chumphon on a daily basis. For more details, contact the Southern Bus Terminal at Tel: 0 2434 5557 - 8, 0 2435 1199. For the round-trip, buses leave from Chumphon Bus Terminal at Tel: 0 7750 2725, 0 7751 1094.
- By Train - From Bangkok Railway Station (Hua Lamphong) There are both rapid and express trains to Chumphon everyday. For more details, contact 1690, 0 2 223 7010, 0 2223 7020 at Hua Lamphong or at Chumphon Station Tel: 0 7751 1103.
- By Boat - There are fast boats going from Koh Samui via Koh Phang Ngan and Koh Tao to Chumphon, this way you can also check out some of these islands. Once you are in Chumphon just tell the tuk tuk or taxi driver to go to Tung Wa Laen beach.
Kitesurfing Chumphon - Getting Around - Chumphon Thailand
- Motorcycle taxis around town cost a flat 10 baht per trip. Songthaews (small pick up buses) cost 20 baht to Thung wa laen beach. You can rent motorbikes for 200 baht a day and cars for around 1000 baht a day.
- You can rent a car or motorbike to explore the area. The coastal area around Chumphon is very beautiful. Small roads wind past coconut tree plantations, small scenic bays, fishing villages and some beautiful offshore islands.
- A little further inland the scenery changes to forests and rice fields interspersed with pine tree covered mountains. The roads are very quiet so riding a bicycle is also very nice and another option.
Kitesurfing Courses and Experiences in Chunmphon Thailand with Extreme Sports Cafe
Kite Boarding Certification - All Extreme Sports Cafe Kitesurfing / Kiteboarding courses follow the IKO (International Kitesurfing Organization) assessment system. (unless stated otherwise) Our kitesurf instructors are IKO qualified and at the end of each course students will receive a kitesurfing IKO card with their achieved level. All the necessary kitesurfing equipment is provided for students (excluding food and drinks) and the kitesurf courses last between 4 and 5 hours per day depending on the wind conditions. Students are advised to wear a hat and apply sun-cream as they will be spending a lot of time in the sun. Students must be 16 years or older, although we can teach children under 16 to kitesurf, with their parent’s permission and presence.
Who runs our Kitesurfing courses?
Extreme Sports Cafe and it's partners run Kitesurfing courses in the Australia, Bahamas, Brazil, Caribbean, Cyprus, Egypt, Fiji, Bali, Kenya, Lanzarote, Mauritius, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Turkey, Thailand and Vietnam. We are quite confident that we have Europe, Asia and Africa well covered with a range of exciting, challenging and fun courses or packages for you to learn to Kitesurfing in most parts of the world and will have more Kiteboarding centers elsewhere soon...
Where do I take it from here?
You can go on to improve your Kiteboarding with more practice and advanced courses allowing you to, become an instructor and teach others, take part in competitions worldwide, join a club and / or buy your own Kite boarding equipment and go Kiteboarding whenever you want. Let us know how we can help...
Kitesurfing books we recommend...
Author: Ian Currer
In this guide, Ian Currer takes you through the complete basics of the exciting, yet complex sport of kite surfing, or kiteboarding. He uses simple language which even the novice has no trouble interpreting, accompanied by helpful diagrams and at all times keeps your interests focused on kitesurfing.
Even as an intermiediate kitesurfer, I have picked up many useful tips from the guide, which has helped me improve my jumping considerably. I recommend anyone who is serious in taking kitesurfing as a sport, to get hold of this book.
If you have any questions, then please don’t hesitate to get back to us – we’ll be only too pleased to help. After all, the team at ESC are passionate about our various sporting disciplines – we want you to be, as well!
GET IN TOUCH WITH US NOW TO START YOUR KITESURFING ADVENTURE…
For a personal consultation, or to book a kitesurfing package why not give us a call, or log on for an online chat..
For a kiteboarding information pack please complete our On-line Enquiry form.
Alternatively, drop us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org