Extreme Sports Cafe has teamed up with an Austrian Freediving School, run by Dieter Baumann. He is an experienced AIDA Freediving instructor, International AIDA Judge and Judge Instructor, World Record Holder, National Champion, Multiple Coach of Herbert Nitsch at World Records, Multiple Captain/Coach of the Austrian National Team, CMAS and NAUI Assistant Instructor to name a few and is also one of the founders of Free diving in Austria. He has long lasting experience in all areas of Freediving and you can benefit from his experience by taking part in his Freediving courses.
Dieter is a competent AIDA instructor, his major consideration is safety and he is able to create a friendly environment for his students to help them to progress. Freediving courses take place at or near Lake Hallstättersee. It is 508m above sea-level (depth: 125m), has crisp clear water and lots of fish.
Obertraun is a lovely scenic town located right in the heart of nature on the shores of Hallstättersee Lake, far away from noisy traffic routes. Embedded in the majestic Dachstein mountains, on the eastern shores of Hallstättersee lake, Obertraun is a renowned starting point for excursions to the world-famous Dachstein Caves (Giant Ice Cave, Mammoth Cave), accessible via the Dachstein mountain railways, and the beautiful Koppenbrüllerhöhle Cave (water cave) down in the valley.
- No other region is as diverse as this one with its mighty mountains and crystal clear lakes. Obertraun, the paradise on Lake Hallstattersee has a long and rich history, cultural sights, mountain ranges, glaciers, mysterious caves, fresh air and clean water are just some of the reasons why many visitors are attracted to this scenic countryside.
- For those with no previous Freediving experience, there are simple and enjoyable courses offering easy-to-understand information on the most important and basic principles related to Freediving.
Apnea diving is also an extreme sport, techniques acquired during practice-orientated classes not only minimise risks to avoid dangers but also let you enjoy and experience relaxed orientated freediving.
Freediving Courses and Training in Austria from Extreme Sports Cafe
Elementary Freediver 1-Day Course
Anyone interested in getting initiated in freediving should take this simple and enjoyable course. All basic aspects of the sport are introduced in an easy-to-understand manner. The main goal of the course is to make the interaction with the water/sea a safe pastime, allowing the students to feel comfortable in what is for many an intimidating environment.
This course is intended only as the first step in the diver's formal training and all budding Freedivers are encouraged to continue their education up to the next level.
AIDA * Freediver Beginner 1-Day Course
This free diving course teaches Freedive theory and introduces students to the different disciplines of Freediving, equipment, the risks involved and how to avoid them, the correct response to Free diving problems and an understanding of the main physiological factors of Freediving.
- AIDA* Freediver certification will be awarded to student divers who achieve a dive to 8m.
AIDA ** Freediver 2-Day Course
This free diving course allows Freedivers to progress their open water dive skills safely. Divers will make further open water training dives, aiming to increase their own depth and comfort underwater.
- An AIDA ** Freediver certification will be issued to Freedivers who complete a rescue scenario and a constant weight Freedive to a depth of at least 16m
- Course Prerequisites: Medical certification. AIDA * Freediver.
AIDA *** Advanced Freediver 2-Day Course
This free diving qualification is simply a more detailed version of the AIDA ** Freediver course and allows the diver to progress into performance-oriented Freediving if they so wish. An additional responsibility to this qualification is that divers attaining this level are expected to be able to supervise less experienced divers as well as practice performance Free diving with similarly qualified training partners.
- You should also be able to dive to a depth of 24m at the end of this course.
- Course Prerequisites: Medical certification. AIDA ** Freediver. At least 4 months after **
AIDA **** Master Freediver 2-Day Course
This is one of the best and most comprehensive free diving courses. Every concept, topic and principle related to freediving is explained in exhaustive detail. Superior performance techniques are introduced and all practical skills revised and polished under the careful eye of our world class Instructor. This free diving course represents the pinnacle in Freediving Education, and those who successfully complete it can truly be called Master Freedivers.
Additionally the Master Freediver certification is a prerequisite to enroll in the Master Instructor course, for those wishing to turn their passion for freediving into a profession!
- Course Prerequisites: Medical Certification. AIDA *** Freediver. At least 4 months after ***
Other Freediving Courses On Offer in Austria
* Trainer (the first step to becoming an AIDA Instructor)
- Price dependant on pre-knowledge and experience.
- Prerogative 1: instruction of elementary AIDA Freediving courses * and **.
- Prerogative 2: coaching of AIDA level Freedivers ** limited to 20m in a natural environment
- Candidacy requirements: AIDA Freediver ***
We also offer **Trainer and AIDA International Judge Courses. For more info on these please let us know your pre-knowledge and experience and we can go form there
- After you complete your course why spend a few days more days by the Lake and go for some guided dives with Dieter and explore some more of the beautiful underwater world.
- Latest registration is 14 days before the start of the course.Please check with us for course dates.
Freediving Frequently Asked questions
- Can everybody learn how to freedive? Yes, certainly. Freediving is an advanced kind of snorkeling. As long as you are able to swim, no previous knowledge is necessary.
- Is it difficult? No, not at all. During classes performances increase easely.
- I cannot hold my breath for a long time. By the use of breathing techniques practiced during the course, each participant develops totally new skills.
- Do I need special equipment? If you already own dive equipment, please bring it along. You also have the possibility to loan out (additional) pieces at the local diving school. Correct equipment is a part of the class, therefore it is recommended, not to purchase special equipment prior to the course.
- How deep will I dive? The depths are individual and depending on the different free diving courses. Because of the special support, most participants achieve greater progresses than they might have expected before.
Freediving Courses and Training in Austria from Extreme Sports Cafe
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT FREEDIVING SHOULD NEVER BE ATTEMPTED ALONE - EVEN IN WATER AS SHALLOW AS YOUR BATH. ALWAYS TRAIN WITH AN EXPERIENCED BUDDY AND KEEP WITHIN THE LIMITS OF YOUR TRAINING.