Chiang Mai is the perfect place to find fun climbs that are accessible to anyone, and the local climbing community includes people of all ages, shapes, and sizes. Extreme Sports Cafe's partner Thailand Rock Climbing School offers a variety of climbing courses that are tailor to fit your level of fitness and comfort above the ground. "I can't rock climb. I'm afraid of heights." Have you ever thought this before? Our Chiang Mai Rock Climbing School, believe that personal challenge - physical or mental - are great reasons to climb. For many, climbing is an avenue for personal growth, a tool to confront fears, and a personal sport that allows you to set goals and see progress - no matter the difficulty of the actual climbing. Join Extreme Sports Cafe and her partner Rock Climbing School in Chiang Mai for an unforgettable climbing experience.
Climbing at Crazy Horse is an entertaining experience at any level. The rock tends towards the technically vertical and slightly overhanging with a few wildly steep routes thrown in because, hey, we are in Thailand.
Conscientiously bolted to be safe for a climber who is climbing their hardest at each grade, Crazy Horse allows a climber to really indulge in the technical aspect of the rock, never distracted by the fear of a dangerous fall. It is not unusual to find crimpy edges and juggy pockets with a few tufa pulls and a hand jam or two on any particular climb. The majority of routes fall into the French 6b range, but with 180 routes there are plenty at all grades.
Try the technical masterpiece Balance of Power (7a+) or the perplexing classic Reindeer Request (6a). For those who like climbing from tufa to tufa across the roof of a cave, try out what must be the most unlikely sport climb in the world: Anxiety State Crisis (7a, 2 pitches). ASC is a truly beautiful line, the kind that makes your jaw drop as you think "I need to climb that."
We pride ourselves on having created one of the most safe, comfortable, fun, and user-friendly crags in the world. You will never forget your trip to Crazy Horse Buttress.
Chiang Mai is conveniently located in the rolling foothills of the Himalayas. This leads to a much milder climate than that of Bangkok and Southern Thailand. Chiang Mai's climate is one of its best attractions; the mild climate allows for open-air restaurants, fantastic outdoor adventure opportunities, and a low energy bill (aircon really isn't necessary).
- There are three distinct seasons in Chiang Mai: the Rainy Season, the Cold Season, and the Dry Season. It is possible to climb during all of these, each offering different benefits.
Rock Climbing Courses in Thailand Chiang Mai Thailand from Extreme Sports Cafe
BEGINNER ROCK CLIMBING COURSES
Climbing is a fun and adventurous activity that can be done by anyone. So take a look at our range of climbing courses, and let us know what you think!
1-Day Introduction to Rock Climbing Course 2,795THB
"I'd like to take a rock climbing course, but I've never tried climbing before!" We hear this a lot....... The good news is, we have just the climbing course for you! Our introduction to Rock Climbing course is designed to be a fun day out on the rock where you will be introduced to the basics of rock climbing and rappelling (abseiling).
The morning portion of the course will be spent introducing you to the basics of top-rope climbing. Top-rope climbing (or top-roping) is the easiest, simplest, and safest way to climb. During this climbing course, we won't just take you climbing: we will introduce you to the mechanics of the top-rope system, teach you how to belay, and help you develop the fundamentals you need to be a responsible and knowledgeable climber. You'll get lots of time climbing, and our instructors will coach you on technique and help you have a successful and fun day on the rock!
- In the afternoon, you will get a chance to learn the basics of rappelling (abseiling). Applying your new skills of top-roping and belaying, you will help build a rappel and then step out over the edge and lower yourself to the ground. Finish the day with an exhilarating rappel into the mouth of a massive cave.
Rappelling is a distinct activity from climbing, and this course will ensure that you are introduced to rappelling in a safe way so that you can learn best practices and good habits that will keep you safe on future rappels. Plus, rappelling is a lot of fun, and there is no better place to rappel than in beautiful northern Thailand!
3-Day Intensive Rock Climbing Course 8,995THB
Intensive rock climbing school (fundamental of rock climbing. Jump-start your climbing career! This rock climbing course will teach you to be a fundamentally solid climber who is well-versed in safety systems, climbing technique, and belaying. After three days with us, you will have the tools to climb without a guide and will be a solid partner for a climber who knows how to lead.
- This rock climbing course is taught over three days at Crazy Horse Buttress. The first day's curriculum parallels our Introduction to Rock Climbing course, and you will be given a thorough and fun introduction to sport of rock climbing, the top-rope belay system, and rappelling (abseiling).
- On the second day, you will learn Technical Top Rope Skills, which will teach you to be a self-sufficient top-rope climber. Learn more about top-rope anchors, bolt integrity, and redundancy between climbs on more difficult routes that will help you to learn more advanced movement and climbing skills. By the end of the day, you will be belaying and following a lead climber, threading anchors, and "cleaning" routes.
The final day is completely unique to this 3-day rock climbing course, and is not offered anywhere else in Thailand. Our goal is to make you a versatile and confident top-rope climber, and this day will be crucial to your transformation to that end. Climbing safely without a guide requires familiarity with best practices, experience, and good judgment, and the third day of the Fundamentals of Rock Climbing course is designed to develop your skills on all three fronts.
- You will practice belaying a lead climber and catching falls. You will be taught to recognise hazards and will be asked to identify how faulty systems can be made better. And of course, you'll be spending a lot of time climbing on one of the most beautiful and diverse crags in the world! By the end of the day, you will be a confident and trustworthy partner for any lead climber.
This rock climbing course contains three days of instruction, and climbers have the option of taking a rest day between the second and third course days. Climbers are responsible for finding their own lodging for the duration of the climbing course, but if you are interested in staying outside of Chiang Mai, the climbing school can arrange a number of excellent home stay and guesthouse options that are just a few minutes from the crag.
"Why don't you teach lead climbing in this rock climbing course?"
- Your development into a safe, reliable, responsible, and smart climber is our #1 goal. We do not believe that teaching a person to lead climb after having top-roped for only two days is consistent with that goal. As noted above, it takes experience to be able to climb safely, and although we believe we provide the highest quality of instruction, nothing can develop experience but time!
- If you are a climber with some previous outdoor top-rope experience who is looking for a top-rope refresher and an introduction to lead climbing, this climbing course may not be the right choice for you: it may be more appropriate to take a two-day program of the Technical Top Rope Skills and Introduction to Lead Climbing courses.
INTERMEDIATE ROCK CLIMBING COURSES
1-Day Technical Top Rope Skills Course 2,995THB
You already know the basics of tying in, belaying, and movement, but you need more instruction before you're ready to climb by yourself outdoors or take the next step and start leading!
- On this rock climbing course, you will gain technical top-rope skills, which will teach you to be a self-sufficient top-rope climber. Test yourself physically by venturing onto more difficult routes that will help you to learn more advanced movement and climbing skills. When you are recovering between climbs, you will learn more about top-rope anchors, bolt integrity, and redundancy. By the end of the day, you will be belaying and following a lead climber, threading anchors, and "cleaning" routes.
Our goal for this rock climbing course is to bring you to the point where you would feel comfortable top-roping by yourself and following a lead climber at the crag. This means a lot of practice tying knots and examining anchors, and a good bit of instruction on top-rope theory, SRENE anchors, and an introduction to lead belaying. If you are looking to gain the skills to climb outdoors without a guide, there is no better single-day preparation than this climbing course!
1-Day Introduction to Lead Climbing Course 3,295THB
This is it: the big show! Lead climbing is to top-roping as college is to high-school: When you become a lead climber, you get to experience more diverse things, gain a lot of freedom, and have a lot more fun than you did back in those top-roping days when you had to wait for another climber to take you everywhere. Of course, such freedom carries a lot of responsibility, and there is nobody better to give you the skills to lead safely and responsibly than our partner Chiang Mai Rock Climbing School.
- In the morning of this climbing class, you'll be introduced to the basics of sport lead climbing, and taught how to belay a leader. You will do a "mock lead" so you can practice proper clipping technique and quickdraw use safely while your partner practices belaying you. Soon, the training wheels come off, and you will do a couple of true lead climbs on easy routes that let you focus on leading and building your confidence.
- After lunch, the focus will be on easing you into more realistic leading situations. You will be coached on how to safely take and catch a fall, and will take a few small falls so that you learn to trust the system and feel safe when the rope is below you. As you slowly transition to harder grades, you will be introduced to energy-saving techniques, and between climbs you will learn about bolt integrity, the physics of falling, and more.
Important - Please note: In order to safely teach a lead-climbing course, our partner Chiang Mai Rock Climbing School feels that it is essential that all students have had a fair amount of top-roping or following experience.
- Before you are allowed to take this rock climbing course, you will be asked to demonstrate how to thread a top-rope anchor (i.e. how to clean an anchor that a leader has built without putting yourself in danger).
- This rock climbing course is a thorough but fast-paced introduction to lead climbing, and if you lack crucial top-roping skills, you have the potential to create an unsafe environment for yourself, your peers, and your instructors.
If you are not certain that you are ready to take this rock climbing course, please contact us for advice, and please consider taking the Technical Top Rope Skills course before or in lieu of this climbing course.
Check out our Technical Rock Climbing Courses in Chiang Mai or our Caving Courses also in Chiang Mai and continue to expand your horizons, develop your climbing technique and learn new climbing skills.
- All Rock Climbing Courses include: instruction, transportation from climbing centre to caving site, climbing equipment, lunch, snacks, fruit, water, and insurance.
- Multi-day courses do not include lodging or other meals.
- Arrive time at climbing centre between 08;20 and 8:30 in the morning.
- All rock climbing courses will return to the shop before 18:00 in the evening.
- Pick up from accommodation can be arranged by our partner Chiang Mai Climbing School at an extra cost.
Rock Climbing Private Guide Service
Private Guiding - Do you find yourself in town without a partner? Do you want a ropegun to help you tackle Crazy Horse's toughest routes? Need a guide to show you the best routes in the area? Do you want focused, specific and private coaching?
- If any of the above describes you, then our Private Guiding Service is for you. You will spend the day according to your pace and your specific needs with a senior instructor.
- You will have the opportunity to sample some of the best climbing in Asia with some of Asia's top climbers.
- Our most experienced instructors will cater to your needs and ensure that you head back to Chiang Mai having experienced one of the best climbing days of your life.
Our private guide service is ideal for experienced climbers without a partner, couples, or families.
Rock Climbing Signature Guiding Service
Experience a day on the rock with Thailand's premier rock climbing guide service. With our signature service, every part of your day will be catered to your specific needs. You will receive private guiding and instruction from our most experienced and qualified instructors.
- Our skilled instructors will evaluate your abilities and work to choose the best routes and locations for you. Private transportation and gourmet meals will round out this fantastic, comfortable, and fun day.
- This service also includes an option for our signature professional climbing photography service. Hire a professional photographer to photograph your experience and produce high quality images of you climbing high above the Mae On valley.
Don't miss this incredible opportunity to experience climbing in Thailand with those who have directed its development without sacrificing the comfort and attention to detail that you are accustomed to!
There are three distinct seasons in Chiang Mai: the Rainy Season, the Cold Season, and the Dry Season. It is possible to climb during all of these seasons, each offering different benefits.
The Cold Season: October - February
This is an ideal time to visit Chiang Mai. Beginning in October, the rains stop and the weather begins to cool. The days are mild with comfortable temperatures, and the nights are chilly, often requiring a warm hat and a light jacket.
- Translation: this is perfect climbing weather! It generally does not rain during these months, so you can climb any day, and the cold mornings are perfect for sending hard projects! The sun is lower in the sky during this time, so South-facing crags can get a little warm, but if you chase the shade, you can have goosebumps all day. Be sure to bring a warm jacket and a hat - open-air transport can be downright frigid!
The Dry Season: March - May
This is also known as The Hot Season for good reason. Though it is hot, the sun is rises higher in the sky, so South-facing exposure is less intense, making it possible to climb all day, even in the sun. There are plenty of shaded crags and bamboo huts on Crazy Horse so even when it's hot, you can stay cool all day. The heat is a dry heat, and it is often breezy this time of year, so you won't be sweating buckets like in other parts of Thailand.
- The Thai New Year Songkran Festival provides a welcome reprieve from the heat in the middle of April by turning Chiang Mai into one giant water fight. You can also get out of the heat by escaping underground into the cool temps of Crazy Horse's underground labyrinth of caves.
The Rainy Season: June to September
Don't worry... it doesn't rain all the time. Chiang Mai is located pretty far North, and therefore does not experience tropical rain storms. While it can rain every day in Chiang Mai, it often rains in the afternoon for short periods of time. These rains dry quickly and make it comfortable at night. The rain is often welcomed as pollution builds up between November and May and the rain cleans out the valleys and brings out brilliant blues, greens and other colors.
- It is possible to climb during the rainy season, and even during rain if you seek out the steeper crags or the routes inside of caves! Be sure to bring a rain jacket and perhaps a backpack cover in case you get caught in a downpour.
Just five short years ago, it was difficult to find climbing gear in Thailand. Fortunately, that is no longer the case! Extreme Sports Cafe's partner Chiang Mai Rock Climbing School is Thailand's only importer and distributor of Sterling Rope and Mad Rock climbing equipment, so they have everything you need at prices you can afford. The retail space is located in central Chiang Mai, and check out the latest shoe models, replace that old sling that's caked in salt, or pick up a super-skinny rope to help you ascend your hardest projects. They also sell first-aid kits, finger tape, chalk, and other odds and ends that you can't find anywhere else.
Not looking to buy? Our partner Chiang Mai Rock Climbing School also rent everything you need.
Once you're all set with gear, you can pick up a a T-shirt, some stickers, or a guidebook to remember your trip by. Or, if you're staying for a while, browse our library of climbing books and movies to keep you motivated through your rest days.
- The retail shop is also home to the Chiang Mai Climbing Club, and Chiang Mai's only bouldering wall, with routes of all difficulties that change daily, so there is something for everybody, and you'll never get bored.
- Retail hours: 08:00 - 19:00 every day.
- Wall hours: 13:00-21:00 Monday and Thursday; 13:00-20:00 Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday; 13:00-18:00 on weekends.
Rock Climbing & Caving in Northern Thailand’s scenic beauty, unwind in hot springs, visit holy caves, enjoy local cuisine and spend unforgettable times with us…..
Rock Climbing Courses in Thailand Chiang Mai Thailand from Extreme Sports Cafe