An amazing underground world lurks beneath and behind the cliffs of Crazy Horse. Imagine rappelling 40 meters into blackness, only to find a booming, kilometre-long tunnel with ceilings as tall as a 15-story building. You stumble across a glittering floor with pristine, sparkling crystals that flow from the walls. Later on, you find an underground stream springing from a passage where humans have never been. Chiang Mai has an amazing variety of caves, from squeezes that are barely large enough for a human, to huge tunnels that twist off into the distance. Caving is truly an adventure unlike any other and a chance to see what very few humans have ever seen. Join Extreme Sports Cafe and her partner Climbing School in Thailand for an unforgettable caving experience.
Caves are also extremely delicate places and we care deeply about our resource. With this in mind, we developed a safe and exciting caving program with minimal impact to the caves that adheres to strict quotas and high standards. You will learnabout low-impact techniques, lighting issues, navigation, and many other caving techniques. We will stop to discuss how caves and cave formations (speleothems) are created and where our rock comes from. Two of our caving courses get you into the vertical realm, where you will learn single-rope techniques (SRT) that allow you to descend and ascend safely. Get excited!
Chiang Mai is conveniently located in the rolling foothills of the Himalayas. This leads to a much milder climate than that of Bangkok and Southern Thailand. Chiang Mai's climate is one of its best attractions; the mild climate allows for open-air restaurants, fantastic outdoor adventure opportunities, and a low energy bill (aircon really isn't necessary).
- There are three distinct seasons in Chiang Mai: the Rainy Season, the Cold Season, and the Dry Season. It is possible to climb during all of these seasons, each offering different benefits.
Caving Courses in Thailand Chiang Mai from Extreme Sports Cafe
The Introductory Caving courses are completely independent and can be taken in either order. Both caving courses, or equivalent experience, are prerequisites for the Exploratory Caving course.
1-Day Introduction to Caving Course 2,995THB
This caving course will introduce you to the basics of caving. We will discuss safety concerns, lighting issues, and basic caving techniques, as well as give you an introduction to the local geology and an explanation of how the magnificent cave structures are formed. This caving course will lead you on foot, knee, and stomach as you explore the many caves that make up Crazy Horse Buttress.
- In the morning, you will hike, walk, and crawl around the entire Crazy Horse area as you are led through many of the smaller caves that dot the mountain. During this time, you will be dazzled by the Karst stalactites, stalagmites, and flowstones as they glisten in the diffused sunlight while you learn the skills and knowledge that will make your afternoon safe and enjoyable.
In the afternoon, you will squeeze, scramble, and crawl your way deep into the belly of the Furnace Cave. Explore the unpredictable and magnificent architecture created by thousands of years of rainfall through the delicate Karst limestone. Navigate through the darkness, and learn basic techniques for keeping your bearings in a dark and winding environment. Be prepared to step out of your familiar zone and discover as much about yourself as you do about caves!
The Furnace Cave is significantly underground, and is unsuitably wet for much of the rainy season and is NOT available this season. Please check with us to determine the availability of this caving course, and read about our Introduction to Vertical Caving Course for another caving alternative!
1-Day Introduction to Vertical Caving Course 3,995THB
Scrambling around inside of caves is a lot of fun, but what do you do when you come to a hole in the ground? A big hole?
This caving course will help you find the answer to that question. Develop the skills to assess an opening, build an anchor, and descend into a cave safely (and get back out!). On this caving course, you will be taught Single Rope Techniques (SRT) in the Anxiety State Crisis Cave at Crazy Horse Buttress, a beautiful and massive cavern that lies in the heart of the mountain.
- This caving course is a true introduction, and will give you a survey of the basics of caving. In addition to the technical rope aspects, our instructors will introduce you to the local geology and and explain the formation of the fantastic flow stones, stalactites, and stalagmites that will surround you all day. The goal of this caving course is for rigorous, comprehensive, technical instruction to combine with a beautiful backdrop to teach SRT in a safe, awe-inspiring, and fun way.
Your day will begin with basic rigging techniques as you prepare your equipment and rig the ropes for your 40 meter descent into the earth. Once inside the cave, explore massive caverns, crawl through tight squeezes and make your way deep into the hillside that many never see. Enjoy a delicious Thai lunch of sticky rice, northern Thai sausage in the company of bats by the light of your headlamp. Finish your day by ascending the rope back to the surface using SRT.
The two Introductory Caving courses are completely independent and can be taken in either order. Both caving courses, or equivalent experience, are prerequisites for the Exploratory Caving Course.
3-Day Exploratory Caving Course (Intensive Caving School) 9,995THB
Have you ever wanted to stumble upon a corner of our planet where humans have never been? Wandering into unknown darkness can be reckless and dangerous, but on this caving course, you will acquire the skills you need to safely explore (and discover) caves on your own.
On this Exploratory Caving course, you will be the guide! An experienced instructor will lead you to the entrance of a deep cave, and from there, you will be in charge. Rig a rappel to descend into the cave, and then explore the caverns and tunnels in search of another exit... if it exists. This caving course is designed with the serious caver in mind, in order to give you the skills and experience necessary to go off and explore caves on your own. Along the way, you will learn about and practice single rope technique (SRT), underground navigation, low-impact caving, assessing cave integrity and air quality, and identifying speleothems and crystals. The additional safety considerations of exploring unknown caves will be discussed, and your "danger radar" will be honed by an explicit enumeration of possible hazards and outcomes in each new setting.
- Some of the caves you will explore are significantly underground, and may be unsuitably wet for much of the rainy season (June-September). Please check with us to determine the availability of this caving course and to discuss possible alternatives.
Both of The Introductory Caving courses will be taught as the first two days of the Exploratory Caving Course. If you feel that you have a significant background in caving, and would prefer to take only the third day of this caving course, please do contact us so we can put together something that meets your needs!
Check out our Beginner & Intermediate Climbing Courses in Chiang Mai or our Technical Climbing Courses also in Chiang Mai and continue to expand your horizons, develop your climbing technique and learn new climbing skills.
- All Caving Courses include: instruction, transportation from climbing centre to caving site, caving equipment, lunch, snacks, fruit, water, and insurance.
- Multi-day courses do not include lodging or other meals.
- Arrive time at climbing centre between 08:20 and 8:30 in the morning.
- All climbing/ caving courses will return to the shop before 18:00 in the evening.
- Pick up from accommodation can be arranged by our partner Chiang Mai Climbing School at an extra cost.
There are three distinct seasons in Chiang Mai: the Rainy Season, the Cold Season, and the Dry Season. It is possible to climb during all of these seasons, each offering different benefits.
The Cold Season: October - February
This is an ideal time to visit Chiang Mai. Beginning in October, the rains stop and the weather begins to cool. The days are mild with comfortable temperatures, and the nights are chilly, often requiring a warm hat and a light jacket.
- Translation: this is perfect climbing weather! It generally does not rain during these months, so you can climb any day, and the cold mornings are perfect for sending hard projects! The sun is lower in the sky during this time, so South-facing crags can get a little warm, but if you chase the shade, you can have goosebumps all day. Be sure to bring a warm jacket and a hat - open-air transport can be downright frigid!
The Dry Season: March - May
This is also known as The Hot Season for good reason. Though it is hot, the sun is rises higher in the sky, so South-facing exposure is less intense, making it possible to climb all day, even in the sun. There are plenty of shaded crags and bamboo huts on Crazy Horse so even when it's hot, you can stay cool all day. The heat is a dry heat, and it is often breezy this time of year, so you won't be sweating buckets like in other parts of Thailand.
- The Thai New Year Songkran Festival provides a welcome reprieve from the heat in the middle of April by turning Chiang Mai into one giant water fight. You can also get out of the heat by escaping underground into the cool temps of Crazy Horse's underground labyrinth of caves.
The Rainy Season: June to September
Don't worry... it doesn't rain all the time. Chiang Mai is located pretty far North, and therefore does not experience tropical rain storms. While it can rain every day in Chiang Mai, it often rains in the afternoon for short periods of time. These rains dry quickly and make it comfortable at night. The rain is often welcomed as pollution builds up between November and May and the rain cleans out the valleys and brings out brilliant blues, greens and other colors.
- It is possible to climb during the rainy season, and even during rain if you seek out the steeper crags or the routes inside of caves! Be sure to bring a rain jacket and perhaps a backpack cover in case you get caught in a downpour.
Rock Climbing & Caving in Northern Thailand’s scenic beauty, unwind in hot springs, visit holy caves, enjoy local cuisine and spend unforgettable times with us…..
Caving Courses in Thailand Chiang Mai Thailand from Extreme Sports Cafe
Caving Courses in Thailand Chiang Mai Thailand from Extreme Sports Cafe